Want to know
more than the headlines
Follow the California
Lottery on Twitter
World-Wide Lottery Guide is brought to you with the compliments
| California Lottery
||600 North.10th St.
|| (800) 568-8379
|| (916) 737-5985
|| 36.46 million
U.S. Census Bureau, Population
| Director / CEO
|Start - up:
|| October 1985
|Gross Sales FY2015
Gross Sales FY2016
|Per Capita Sales:
|Number of Employees:
|Number of Retailers:
|Instant Ticket Vendor:
||Mega Millions, Super Lotto plus, Fantasy 5, Daily 4,
Daily 3, Daily derby, Scratch Tickets, Hot Spot, Raffle.Make Me a
Millionaire. Game Show.
||David & Goliath
||All Lottery proceeds go to education.
The California Lottery was created
with a ballot measure in 1984, approved by 58 percent of voters. Ticket sales
began on October 3, 1985, with an instant game called California Jackpot. In
the first 24 hours, 21.4 million tickets were sold, and sales reached $1
billion after only four months.
The Lotterys first draw game was Lotto
6/49, launched October 14, 1986. Today, draw game offerings include SuperLotto
Plus, Mega Millions, Fantasy 5, Daily 4, Daily 3, Daily Derby and Hot Spot, a
pari-mutuel version of fast-draw keno. By law, every lottery game in California
must have a pari-mutuel prize structure.
A significant step forward was
taken in April 2010, when the state Legislature approved a change in the
Lottery Act that allowed the Lottery to use its discretion in setting prize
payouts. Assembly Bill 142 allowed the Lottery to follow best practices around
the industry to increase sales and therefore increase revenues to
Under the original Lottery Act, education was mandated to
receive 34 percent of sales, with administrative expenses capped at 16 percent
of sales. AB 142 changed those requirements and set an expense cap of 13
percent, with prizes and education contributions making up the remaining 87
percent. The Lottery now has the flexibility to pay out a higher percentage of
its revenues in prizes than it has in the past, but only if it does so in a way
that increases the total amount of money that goes to public schools and
colleges. These changes paved the way for a significant increase in
The Lotterys primary mission is to provide supplemental funding
for public schools and colleges. It generates more than $1 billion annually in
revenue for education, distributed as follows:
- 63 percent goes to salaries and benefits for
educators, helping school districts fund class-size reduction programs and hire
classroom aids, nurses, school psychologists and specialists.
- 20 percent is used to purchase instructional
materials for the classroom, including textbooks, classroom supplies, computers
and software, library books and laboratory equipment.
- 17 percent supports other educational programs and