Ad
Ad
Ad

Gambling Inspection and Regulation Service (SRIJ) Publish 1st Quarter 2022 Report: Registration of Online Gambling Activity in Portugal

June 13, 2022 | Online Gambling

PORTUGAL (June 10, 2022)

Global Analysis

As of March 31, 2022, 15 entities were authorized to exercise the activity of operating online gambling and betting in Portugal, the same compared to the same period of 2021.

Altogether, those entities held 26 licenses (11 licenses to operate quota sports betting and 15 licenses

for exploiting games of chance), one more than in the same quarter of 2021 (for games of chance).

During the 1st quarter of 2022, online gambling and betting activity generated around 158.6 million euros of gross revenue translating growth of 23.6% compared to the same period of 2021 and 12.4% compared to the 4th quarter of 2021.

The total amount of the Online Gaming Special Tax (IEJO) in the 1st quarter of 2022, of 49.8 million euros, was around 1.2 million euros compared to the same period in 2021.

  • 4% was the increase in gross gaming revenue and online betting in the 1st quarter of 2022, compared to the 4th quarter of 2021.
  • 4% was the increase in new registrations of players in the 1st quarter of 2022, compared to the 4th quarter of 2021.
  • 7% was the rise of players self-excluded in the 1st quarter of 2022, compared to the 4th quarter of 2021

 

 

Analysis of Activity by Category of Online Gambling and Betting

In the 1st quarter of 2022, gross revenue from gaming and online betting amounted to 158.6 million euros (30.3 million euros higher than the million euros than that recorded in the same period of 2021 and 17.5 more

million euros than in the previous quarter), with 51.0% of that amount was the result of betting on games of chance and 49.0% of bets on sports at quota (corresponding to, 80.9 million and 77.7 million euros, respectively).

The variation recorded in the quarter under analysis compared to the period immediately previous year, of 12.4%, resulted mainly from the increase in gross revenue in sports betting by quota (18.2%), and also the increase in gross revenue in games of chance (7.4%).

Monitoring Illegal Online Gambling Operators

The exploration and practice of online gambling and betting in Portugal are only allowed to entities to which it has been issued a license to that effect.

Since the entry into force of the RJO, on June 29, 2015, and up to March 31, 2022, 922 notifications were sent to illegal online gambling operators to shut down their activity in Portugal (82 during the 1st quarter of 2022) and notification was made to the ISP’s 7 for blocking 1 198

websites of illegal operators (71 in the quarter in analysis).

In total, 16 participations were made with the Ministry of Public for the purpose of establishing the correspondents’ criminal proceedings.

Within the scope of its attributions and powers, the SRIJ also has acted to limit the advertising that is made to those operators, having been developed several actions of monitoring and raising awareness among the media that make such content available, giving rise, in particular, to the removal of 380 videos that appealed to the game on websites of illegal gambling (39 in the 1st quarter of 2022).

 

 

Data relating to online gaming activity in the year 2022

June 7, 2022.   Disclosure of data relating to online gaming activity for the 1st quarter of 2022.

Download it here.

Data on territorial gambling activity in the year 2022

June 7, 2022.  Disclosure of data on territorial gambling activity for the 1st quarter of 2022.

Download it here

SOURCE: Gambling Inspection and Regulation Service (SRIJ).