Premier Lotteries Ireland
Premier Lotteries Ireland DAC (PLI) is the operator of the Irish National lottery having been awarded a 20-year license by the Irish Government in November 2014. We are committed to delivering our core purpose, to operate a responsible and world-class lottery for the people of Ireland, raising much needed Good Cause funds for the benefit of local communities throughout Ireland. Located in Abbey Street in the heart of Dublin, PLI is run by an experienced Irish based management team led by our CEO Andrew Algeo.
OTPP, An Post and An Post Pension Funds
The shareholders of PLI are Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan (OTPP), An Post and An Post Pension Funds. OTPP has a successful track record in the lottery industry through its shareholdings in the Camelot Group, which includes UK National Lottery operator Camelot UK Lotteries Limited. An Post successfully operated the Irish National Lottery since its creation in 1986.
With C$140.8 billion in net assets, OTPP is the largest single-profession pension plan in Canada and is an independent organisation that invests the pension fund’s assets and administers the defined benefit pensions of 307,000 active and retired teachers in Ontario. OTPP is also the owner of Camelot Lottery Solutions which provides consultancy and management services to lotteries worldwide.
Premier Lotteries Ireland represents the best in lottery expertise globally and is uniquely positioned to grow the Irish National Lottery over the coming 20 years for the benefit of good causes and future generations in Ireland.
PLI’s vision is for a National Lottery that operates in a socially responsible way providing exciting and life-changing lottery games that bring fun and entertainment to everyone.
PLI’s mission is to operate a world-class lottery for the people of Ireland, raising important funds for Good Causes.
We put the needs of and care for our players at the centre of everything we do. We aim to delight and satisfy our players every day.
We work together as a team in which everyone collaborates with, encourages and supports each other.
We manage our business in a dynamic and progressive way that meets the challenges of an ever-changing society.
We are fair and honest in everything we do. We do what we say and we keep our promises. We operate to the highest standards in all that we do.
Premier Lotteries Ireland commenced operations on 30th November 2014 having successfully installed over 20,000 pieces of equipment in its retail network of 3,700 agents throughout Ireland. Since November 2014 PLI’s new system has successfully handled 30 different lottery draws each week as well as processing over 4 million sales and prize payment transactions on a weekly basis.
Principal suppliers to PLI
Intralot provides the set-up, maintenance and support of software platforms and retail terminals for the National Lottery. Intralot is one of the top three lottery technology providers worldwide. It was the first international vendor in the gaming sector to be certified according to the World Lottery Association (WLA) Security Control Standard and operates to the highest standards of the global lottery industry.
Camelot Lottery Solutions provides consultancy services to PLI and has assisted with the delivery of the ambitious technical and business transition programme undertaken by PLI following the awarding of the new National Lottery licence. Camelot Lottery Solutions draws upon extensive experience from the UK where it supports Europe’s largest interactive lottery.
Pollard Banknote Limited provides security printing services to PLI and has been a supplier to the Irish National Lottery for more than 20 years. Pollard Banknote is a leading supplier of scratch card games for over 25 years and serves over 60 lottery and charitable gaming organisations worldwide.
- April 2012: Minister Howlin announces Government Decision to hold a competition for next National Lottery licence involving an upfront payment to the State.
- July 2012: Heads of new National Lottery Bill are approved by Government.
- October 2012: Davy Corporate Finance are appointed as financial and commercial advisers to the Department, following a tendering process.
- December 2012: National Lottery Bill is published
- January to May 2013: National Lottery Bill passes through the Oireachtas and is signed into law by the President in May 2013.
- 8 May 2013: Minister announces that Expressions of Interest in the competitive process are being sought.
- 30 May 2013: Minister announces the launch of the full Competitive Process.
- 3 October 2013: Minister announces that Premier Lotteries Ireland Limited has been selected as the Preferred Applicant 14 February: Lottery staff vote to accept Labour Court Recommendation
- 27 February 2014: Minister grants Lottery licence to Premier Lotteries Ireland