Veikkaus – a Finnish gaming company with a special mission
Veikkaus Oy started its operations at the beginning of 2017, as the Finnish gaming system was reformed and the previous three operators Fintoto, Finland’s Slot Machine Association (RAY), and Veikkaus merged into a single gaming company owned by the Finnish State. The Finnish system is based on the exclusive right principle, with the purpose of operating games responsibly and mitigating the possible risks involved in gambling. The system secures the legal protection of those engaging in gambling and prevents gambling-related fraud.
Veikkaus operates all the gambling games that are offered in Finland. The games fall into three major categories: Lucky Games, Slot Machines and Instant Games, and Skill Games.
The new Veikkaus
- Is a company owned entirely by the Finnish State, with a special mission.
- Offers entertaining and safe gaming experiences.
- Takes gaming-related detriments seriously.
- Generates over one billion euros a year for the common good.
- Holds the exclusive right to operate all gambling in Finland.
- Is workplace to ca. 1 700 gaming industry professionals.
For the benefit of society
Veikkaus games are estimated to generate nearly one billion euros a year. The revenue is used for the benefit of Finnish society in its entirety. Veikkaus’ beneficiaries are active in the fields of culture, sports, science, and youth work, social welfare and health, and the equine industry. The funds are distributed to the beneficiaries by the relevant ministries.
- Over 3 700 gaming locations for playslip entries
- 90 Pelaamo and Feel Vegas arcades
- Over 20 000 slot machines
- Finland’s only casino in Helsinki; another one will be opened in Tampere
- Over 35 000 Veikkaus game sales clerks
About one third of playing takes place online. Our gaming service veikkaus.fi is Finland’s largest webstore, attracting 600 000 players every week. We have over two million loyal customers.
The President and CEO of Veikkaus is Mr Olli Sarekoski. He runs the operations with an Executive Team of seven members.