Gaming Industry Delivers $329 Billion Annual Economic Impact to U.S. Economy, New AGA Study Finds
Impact Driven by All-Time Consumer Demand, Tax Contributions
WASHINGTON, DC (October 9, 2023) – The American Gaming Association (AGA) today released a new study quantifying the expansive annual impact the casino gaming industry has on the U.S. economy. Conducted by Oxford economics, findings show the U.S. commercial and tribal gaming industry:
- Contributes $328.6 billion to the U.S. economy.
- Supports 1.8 million jobs and $104 billion of wages and salaries across the country.
- Generates $52.7 billion in tax revenue to federal, state and local governments.
“The U.S. gaming industry delivers long-term growth and impact to communities, generating significant tax revenue, creating strong jobs, supporting local small businesses, and funding critical community priorities,” said AGA President and CEO Bill Miller during State of the Industry remarks at G2E 2023.
According to the report, America’s gaming industry directly employs more than 700,000 people in the U.S. Put in context with the broader U.S. economy:
- Gaming provides more direct jobs than the air transportation, postal service or motion picture and video sectors.
- Direct casino employment accounts for 1 in 33 leisure and hospitality jobs.
The $53 billion in taxes generated by the gaming industry provides critical funding for local public programs and services, including education, infrastructure and economic development, as well as supplemental revenue for state general funds.
Recent, related AGA research shows the economic benefits generated by gaming are widely recognized by Americans, with a record 71 percent of adults saying the casino gaming industry has a positive impact on the U.S. economy.
- 45 states and the District of Columbia currently offer commercial and/or tribal gaming markets including casino gaming, sports betting and iGaming.
- AGA’s Commercial Gaming Revenue Tracker shows that 2023 industry revenue through July is pacing 11 percent ahead of 2022’s record revenue year for commercial gaming.
- AGA’s State of Play Map charts gaming’s economic impact, industry regulations and casino locations on a state-by-state basis for both the commercial and tribal gaming sectors.
About the AGA
As the national trade group representing the U.S. casino industry, the American Gaming Association (AGA) fosters a policy and business environment where legal, regulated gaming thrives. The AGA’s diverse membership of commercial and tribal casino operators, sports betting and iGaming companies, gaming suppliers, and more lead the $329 billion industry and support 1.8 million jobs across the country.
SOURCE: American Gaming Association (AGA).Tags: American Gaming Association (AGA), New Study, Oxford economics, casino gaming industry, Impact casino gaming industry